The Commonwealth Games is a manifestation of India’s dark side. It has all the elements: political corruption, disorganisation, shoddy workmanship, filthy accomodation, stray dogs and king cobras.
When Delhi was awarded the games, many believed it was an opportunity to show just how far the country had come. The games would prove that India was more than just slums, paan stains and choked up rickshaws. Instead it has become a national disgrace.
India’s inboxes are now flooded with CWG jokes – proving that in a crisis sometimes comedy is the only remedy.
Here are some of the more popular quips making the rounds:
- Suresh Kamadi just tried to hang himself in the CWG stadium. But the ceiling collapsed.
- Look at the brighter side; the more countries pull out, the higher India is ranked in the final medal tally.
- Terrorists set to skip CWG 2010 citing unlivable conditions and fear for their safety.
- Q: How many contractors are required to change a light bulb in Delhi CWG stadium? A: 1 Million. (1 to change bulb and rest 999,999 to hold the ceiling)
- Ba ba Kalmadi, have you any shame. No sir, No sir, its a Common Loot Game. Crores for my partner, crores for the dame, crores for me too, for spoiling India’s name!
- Next edition of CWG will be called KWG, Kalmadi Wealth Games
I caught up with a couple of Delhiites to find out their reaction to the CWG