Reporter, Australian Associated Press (AAP)
April 2011 – present
Skills: Filing quickly on breaking news, including courts and state and federal politics; Independently sourcing and researching stories; Organising court coverage for the following day; Taking photographs
– Reporting on the January 2013 fires in Coonabarabran, NSW
– Covering high profile court cases, such as Keli Lane’s appeal hearing, the sentence of Malcolm Naden, Lucky Gattellari’s sentencing and the ongoing case against Ron Medich
– Providing rolling coverage and photographs of protests over anti-Islamic film in Sydney’s Hyde Park in September 2012
Overnight Intake Editor, Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Position: Casual, January 2011 – present
Skills: Liaising with foreign correspondents, monitoring wires, uploading content to ABC online, working on the news exchange desk, organising international TV news prospects for News 24, sourcing vision
Freelance Journalist in Mumbai, India
Period: April 2009 – December 2010
I have worked in print, radio and online for Deutsche Welle Radio, KBR68H Indonesian Radio, Hindustan Times, newmatilda.com, Spana! Magazine, Yen and CLEO. I also established the blog laurenfarrow.wordpress.com, which includes cross media content.
Skills: Independently sourcing and researching stories; developing contacts; taking photographs; working with respect to a foreign culture; maintaining a blog; recording and editing audio using ProTools; recording and editing video
– A series of radio stories on Rajasthan, including a feature on the Nat and Kanjar people – a traditional sex working community. To be aired on Deutsche Welle Radio.
– Feature on Mumbai Parsis fight for survival, for Deutsche Welle Radio World in Progress
– Audio slideshow on Ganesh Festival for theworld.org
– Feature in the Australian news website, New Matilda marking the 25th anniversary and the ongoing impacts of the world’s worst industrial accident, the Bhopal gas tragedy
– Radio story for Deutshce Welle Radio World in Progress about opium addiction in Western Rajasthan Rajasthan.
– Feature in Yen about Mumbai’s public art movement, ‘The Wall Project’
Reporter, Village Voice (News Limited)
Village Voice is a community newspaper, which has two monthly titles in Sydney, Australia.
Position: Journalist, June 2007 – April 2009
Responsibilities: Independently sourcing and researching stories; developing contacts; filing stories on a daily basis; taking on a council round; photographing subjects; uploading and monitoring content online; compiling news lists; and running news meetings
– Breaking the story about Leichhardt councillors consuming alcohol before council meetings, which was picked up by The Daily Telegraph
– Investigative series about efforts to remediate Sydney Harbour at Breakfast Point
– Investigative series about Sydney gallery owner who allegedly disappeared owing artists thousands, which was picked up by The Financial Review
– Interviewing renowned Australian artist and former Archibald winner Fred Cress for the second time, only months before his death
Regular contributor to CLEO Magazine
CLEO Magazine is a leading national Australian women’s magazine, which covers arts, entertainment, fashion and social commentary.
Position: regular features contributor, July 2008 – present
Skills: feature writing; working independently; sourcing relevant story ideas
Sub-editor, Village Voice (News Limited)
Position: Sub-editor, January – June 2007
Responsibilities: Editing journalists work; researching and fact-checking; laying out and proofing pages using InDesign; correcting photographs using Photoshop; writing headlines and captions
Career FAQs is Australia’s leading publisher of career books.
Position: Writer, May – June 2007
Responsibilities: writing; researching; sourcing and conducting interviews; proofing manuscripts. Co-authoring the book Education: Jobs that Inspire Others
Technical and other skills
– 120w/minute shorthand
– Confident editing audio using ProTools
– Confident creating videos using Final Cut Pro and basic video editing software, such as iMovie
– Proficient in Indesign, InCopy and Photoshop
– Confident with Expression Engine content management system
– Confident with blogging platform WordPress
University of Technology, Sydney
Degree: Bachelor of Communications (Journalism)
Period: 2004 – 2006
Subjects completed: Radio 1; Radio 2; Investigative Journalism; Print Features; Political Theory’ Media, Information and the Law; Television 1;Professional Practice and Culture; Journalism 1; Journalism 2; News and Current Affairs; Contemporary Cultures 1; Contemporary Cultures 2; Power and Change; Photo journalism; Sub-editing 1; Sub-editing 2
– Winner: 2007 Best photo journalism by an undergraduate or postgraduate student, Journalism Education Association Ossie Awards.
– Winner: 2006 University of Technology, Sydney Journalism Award for Best Photo journalism
2010 :AFTRS Final Cut Pro: The Basics through Open Program
2009: Sydney University Hindi Beginners Language course, Continuing Education
2008: Australian Centre for Photography, Camera Craft 1; Website design at TAFE, Ultimo College; Interviewing course
2007: Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance sub-editing course
2006: Graphic Design Portfolio TAFE Course
2SER Community Radio
Contributor at the community radio station, 2ser producing interviews and packages for Razor’s Edge and The Wire. Co-producer and regular contributor to Australia’s longest running book show Final Draft
Period: December 2010 – present
Financial Review, Fairfax
One week internship working in the photography department with the Financial Review Magazine
Period: April 2009
Writer for community newspaper of the Cumberland newspaper group.
Period: September – August 2006
Radio Station 2rph
Volunteer at 2rph, a special purpose community radio station for the print handicapped.
Period: January – June 2006